Sunday, February 13, 2011

Long live Qt!

I use Qt for desktop development and am not terribly interested in mobile apps at the moment (and web-apps are a better idea in the vertical market where I work, which is a different toolset) so Nokia's decision to get into bed with Microsoft doesn't concern me in the short term. I think the best thing that could happen is for someone else to make Nokia an offer for Qt ... Intel or Google perhaps, or for the ex-Trolltech guys to strike out on their own. Either way I feel that Qt is the best choice for cross-platform desktop development and long may it continue.


I will try to update this blog more often, especially in light of the recent Nokia announcement.

BTW, I spent 6 months working at Nokia in 2010 and they really had to do something about their glaring lack of a decent smartphone. Whether the decision to adopt WP7 was the right one or not I guess only history will tell but I'm not optimistic and think that Microsoft swallowing Nokia whole is a distinct possibility. Let's hope Qt survives and thrives.

3 comments:

  1. I still don't understand why nokia gave away so much to microsoft, not only nokia will be selling phones with WP7, nokia management is being replaced by Microsoft managers.

    I think I have seen this movie before ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm worried about the future of Qt but let's be honest, with the exception of Creator and the LGPL license, Nokia didn't add a lot to desktop Qt. I never cared for QML.

    I feel sorry for the Qt guys at Nokia - they found out about this strategy change when the rest of us did.

    I just wish Nokia would be straight with us - their assertions that Qt is not dead and that they will release a MeeGo device contradict their commitments to Microsoft. Who is going to develop for a platform that was end-of-lifed before it was even released?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the off-topic comment.

    Rob,

    I saw your question about #include in a #define on stackoverflow. You mentioned that you found a solution without giving much details? Can you give some clues?

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1135822/escaping-a-symbol-in-a-define-macro

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete